Thursday, October 7, 2010

BP5_Second Web Tool Review--DoInk

(Doink, 2010)

DoInk is a revelation.  I discovered it while trolling through Guru.

For a few years I've often wondered, "Wouldn't it be cool if I could create my own quick, animated science clips to demonstrate terms and concepts?"  I found DoInk.  I became addicted immediately.  It is the perfect addition to my science teaching tool box.  Within minutes I was using it successfully.  My first animation was of a bacteria growth.  You can go to Bacteria Growth to view it.  It is very quick (only a few frames long), but it really communicates the point.  It's also fun to watch.  I am a fairly accomplished artist, but I like the primitive look of the computer drawing and animation.  Its unpolished appearance seems to lend a more entertaining look to the action.  DoInk is probably not made for perfect, finely tuned, uber accurate drawings, but it is perfect for illustrating concepts.

DoInk uses a digital version of traditional cell animation.  The concept is the same: draw a frame, overlap its ghost image, and draw the next frame.  I thought its simplicity of design made a perfect teacher tool.  Yes, it requires time, but a piece can be worked on a little at a time and saved at DoInk's site for later retrieval.

I also think DoInk has applications for almost every subject.  It would be a great lesson introducer.  Another application can be student assignments.  A student can easily create an expressive animation to illustrate an assignment concept.  DoInk's learning curve is not that steep, so it can be learned in a short period of time.  This makes it user friendly for digital immigrants like me.

DoInk receives very good ratings.  You can view two of them at AppAppeal and Commonsense .

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is a really cool tool! I bet your kids would love to use this in the classroom. It replaces the crayons and paper effect. You are right, I was thinking of ways that I could use this tool in my classroom. Very easy to implement in any curriculum.

    I am curious...how long did it take for you to draw your bacteria growth? It was a simple drawing, but you are right, it really gives the viewer another approach of a concept.

    ReplyDelete